China Three Gorges Renewables Plans Massive Solar and Energy Project in Inner Mongolia

China Three Gorges Renewables, a state-owned power company, has unveiled plans to construct an ambitious 8GW solar (PV) project in Ordos, Inner Mongolia. Scheduled to commence construction in September, the project forms part of a comprehensive energy initiative that will also feature 4GW of wind power, 4GW of coal-fired capacity, and 5GWh of .

With an estimated investment of RMB79.8 billion (US$10.98 billion), China Three Gorges Renewables will hold a majority 56% stake in the project, with Inner Mongolia Energy Group controlling the remaining 44%. The project aims to bolster energy supply to the Beijing, Tianjin, and Hebei regions through an ultra-high voltage power transmission line.

The solar PV facility is slated to become operational by June 2027, contributing significantly to China's ambitions. Recently, China commissioned the world's largest solar project, a sprawling 5GW installation in 's Ürümqi region. Spanning 200,000 acres in a desert area, the project, developed by state-owned Ürümqi Zhonglvdian New Energy Co Ltd, is expected to generate over 6,090GWh annually, meeting a substantial portion of energy demand comparable to that of Los Angeles.

According to DNV, a Norwegian analysis firm, China is poised to substantially increase its renewable energy capacity by 2050, with solar energy alone projected to contribute 38% of domestic electricity production, up from 5% currently. The report forecasts that new solar installations will account for 58% of all electricity generation capacity additions in China through the end of this decade.

SUBSCRIBE

Related Articles

Popular Categories