Italian renewable energy firm Altea Green Power has officially commenced construction on a substantial 1GW battery storage project named “Black Bess” in Italy. This ambitious venture comprises four strategic sites located in central-southern Italy and is slated for completion by the first half of 2024. Black Bess is set to complement Altea Green Power's existing energy storage schemes, including Green Bess, Blue Bess, and Yellow Bess, collectively boasting a combined capacity of 2GW.
In a move to further bolster their projects, Altea Green Power is currently engaged in advanced discussions with two major international investors for the co-development of these sites. The company is resolutely committed to advancing the cause of renewable energy and energy storage, with a goal of achieving a remarkable 5.5GW of Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) capacity throughout Italy by 2026.
Following the construction of Black Bess, Altea Green Power has plans to introduce “White Bess” and “Pink Bess,” each boasting a capacity of 1GW. With an emphasis on regional development, the company intends to allocate approximately 90% of its projects to central and southern Italy, with the remaining 10% slated for development in northern Italy.
Giovanni Di Pascale, Chief Executive of Altea Green Power, expressed his satisfaction with the progress in the field of energy storage, both at the national and international levels. He emphasized the immense potential for growth and development in this sector and its significance in advancing renewable energy. Di Pascale reaffirmed the company's commitment to reaching a substantial capacity of 5.5GW by 2026, leveraging their extensive engineering expertise to establish themselves as a key player in the energy storage landscape.